Tips on Maintaining Car Air Conditioning
Getting your car’s air conditioner checked once in a while will keep you confident that it will not break down especially during the hot summer time. However, it is also prone to wear and tear especially if you are constantly using it several times a day. As a driver, you should know how to use and maintain it properly.
It is also important to know how it operates so that in case it does break down, you know what to do. An air conditioner has three main parts such as the evaporator, condenser, and the compressor. The cooling system works by eliminating the hot air inside the vehicle while blowing in cold air.
Here are some tips on how to maintain the coolness in your vehicle.
- Don’t open your window while the air conditioner is on. During windy days, sometimes it’s nice to feel the breeze in your face. You should turn off your air conditioner first before rolling down your windows. Otherwise, you will just waste your coolant and fuel.
- Run the air conditioner for at 10 minutes once a week. This keeps the compressor working properly as well as that the pumps, hoses, and valves. Turn the fan temperature to the highest level and coolest mode.
- Switch the defrost mode for 5 to 10 minutes. This helps prevent mildew and bacteria from building up which causes bad smells inside your car. It also helps clean excess moisture circulating inside your vehicle.
- Recharge. You also need to recharge your coolant with gas and lubricant. If the level gets low, your coolant needs to be drained and changed. Some car manufacturers suggest to get it recharged every two years.
- Use it even during colder days. As mentioned above, one of the main functions of an air conditioner is to eliminate humidity and moisture inside your car. Even during winter months, turn on your air conditioner to remove the fog and moist from your windshield and windows.
- Keep it clean. Your air conditioner also acts as a breeding ground for bacteria which is caused by the build-up of dirt and liquid. With regular cleaning, you can keep it clean and free from dust. Use KevianClean Interior Defense to wipe off all residue.
- Have it professionally checked. Get a full service every two years and have everything checked. Make sure you have it checked before the summer season in case it needs repair.