The thought of meeting a car accident can be very disturbing. You could imagine it happening while you are driving around school. Although you can’t really tell when an accident will occur, taking all the necessary precautions will help you avoid them. Now that school will be starting soon, it's good to be reminded of a few safety measures.
If you are driving your own car, you are lucky, because others are traveling to places through public transportation. Your car provides you the comfort and safety of traveling with your utmost convenience in mind. It is for this reason that you should be mindful of your driving, especially when you are getting your way into and around the school.
Are there tips you can follow to make sure that you follow the best driving practices ever recorded? When you are driving around school, here are a few points that you need to remember.
- Always stop for the school bus. It is the driver’s responsibility to give way to the school bus, so that the kids on board can go down in the safe zone without risks of being hit by another car. The flashing lights of the school bus aims to indicate that some students are going down, going up the bus, or are about to cross the street. Following this tip can ensure the safety of the children.
- Never park your car in fire lanes at school, because you’ll probably get a ticket for it. More importantly, parking in that area will mean blocking the area where the fire truck needs to park in case of an emergency.
- When driving to school, try to get there at least five to ten minutes early to avoid the dash of getting in and out of the parking space. When people are rushing around, the accident rate goes higher. Avoid accidents in school by arriving and leaving early.
- Always keep your eyes on the road. Watch out for kids that go in and get off the bus and other vehicles. Some of them might suddenly run from out of nowhere, so make sure to always be careful.
- If the school does not come with angled parking spaces, make sure to park your car where you can easily get out, instead of space that will require you to do a little backing. It can be very tricky to back out of a parking space when there is very limited space left for to maneuver the car around.
Finally, as parents, always remember to follow parking and road rules. This will teach your kids responsibility and discipline behind the wheel.