Leather seats are quite expensive and when you notice it cracking, drying or getting a hole in it, it can be very annoying. So what should you do when this happens? Do you just throw it out and replace it entirely? Luckily, there are quick and easy fixes that won’t burn a hole in your wallet.
Once you notice any signs of cracks or holes, you should immediately repair it to avoid damaging it further.
If your leather seat is cracked, you can purchase a leather repair kit. Before buying it, check if the leather dye matches the color of your leather seat. This solution is simple to do and is inexpensive too.
- Clean the surface with warm water and mild dish soap.
- Use a cloth dipped in denatured alcohol and apply it to the affected or cracked leather.
- Wipe the area dry with a microfiber cloth and let it dry.
- Once it dries, gently sand the area with a sandpaper and wipe it dry.
- Use the leather sealant from the repair kit to smoothen the cracks.
- Apply the leather dye and blend it to match the rest of the leather seat.
- Allow it to dry.
Before you start throwing your leather car seats, you can repair the tears in the leather and restore it back to its former glory. You can either have it sewn or place a patch on top of it.
- Cut off any loose thread in the leather seat.
- Sew the torn leather in small stitches to minimize the visibility of the thread.
- Loop the thread to create a strong knot.
- Tie the knot from under the leather seat.
- Cut off all loose threads.
- Cut a leather patch or strip and place it on top or under the leather seat.
- Sew the patch carefully and create small stitches to minimize the appearance of the thread.
- You can opt to use a liquid leather adhesive to replace the needle and thread. You can dye the leather with dye if needed to match the color of the leather.
- Carefully place the leather adhesive underneath the torn leather then press the adhesive into the leather strip. You can use a sandpaper to smoothen the rough edges. Wipe any residue with a microfiber cloth.
Use the KevianClean Leather Cleaner and Conditioner to protect and moisturize the leather seat. This will prevent the surface from cracking, peeling, or tearing.