Leather bags can be expensive, especially if it’s branded. If you love collecting leather bags, you should learn how to take care of the leather and how to store your bags properly. Most bag owners just throw their bag inside the closet without any care.
Leather materials need attention and maintenance. It’s not the same as other materials where you can just wash them once they get dirty. Keeping your leather bag clean and properly stored will prolong its lifespan and will protect your investment.
Here are some tips on how to store your leather bags.
- Let it breathe. Do not put it inside a sealed bag or container. The leather needs air and proper ventilation to avoid mildew. You can use an old pillow case or a dust bag to keep your leather bag protected.
- Insert a silica gel. Put a few packs of silica gel inside the pockets of your leather bag. This will absorb the moisture in your bag and prevent molds from forming.
- Place the handles inside the bag. If your leather bag has a chain or metal handle, try inserting it in your bag if possible. This will prevent the handle from getting scratched and stained.
- Insert a bubble wrap. Stuffing your bag with bubble wrap can help retain its shape. A bubble wrap works better compared to a newspaper.
- Store your bag in a clean space. Make sure your bag storage is dust free. Otherwise, a dirty area will only damage the leather of your bag. You should keep it off the floor. It may only attract more dirt and dust from your floor.
- Avoid storing your bag in extreme temperatures. Do not put it in a hot and humid room. The temperature may cause the leather to dry and crack.
- Make sure your cosmetic bag is sealed. If your cosmetic bag is stored inside your leather bag, make sure everything is sealed. A spill or stain on your leather bag may be difficult to remove.
- Apply a leather conditioner. Use our KevianClean Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and apply it on your leather bag. Since the leather can dry out over time, conditioning it will prevent it from wrinkling or peeling.