Leather wallets have been around forever even up until the 21st Century because they're affordable, durable, and aesthetically pleasing. A well-designed wallet has a majestic look to it, which explains their popularity with men.
By maintaining your wallets properly, you'll be able to make them last for a long, long time, extending their durability to the utmost. However, most of us don't even realize how dirty our wallets have become until it is too late and they've started breaking down on us. Wallet maintenance is essential in order to extend their lifespan.
Wallet Cleanup and Maintenance
- Read Instructions: If you still have the instructions for your wallet, then read it to find out if there are particular cleaner brands or ingredients that shouldn't be used on it. The type of cleaners to be avoided depends on the type of leather your wallet is made of.
- Empty Your Wallet: Place your ATM or debit cards, credit cards, pictures, negatives, IDs, passports, passbooks, and money into another place, like a drawer or another wallet, for safekeeping. You should do this before cleaning your wallet.
- Wipe with Wipes: Use antibacterial or disinfectant wipes on your wallet, wiping it down totally. One of the dirtiest things around is money because it changes hands constantly and comes into contact with different people every single day. There's no telling what sort of bacteria lurks within the insides of your wallet.
- Leather Cleaner: Rub down your leather wallet with a soft cloth with leather cleaner on it. Use products like KevianClean Leather Cleaner and the like. Scrub the cracks and folds of your wallet for good measure to the best of your ability.
- Leather Conditioner: Use a commercial leather conditioner as well to make the leather become supple and pliable again, as though rejuvenated by its ingredients. Clean the same cloth and use it to apply the conditioner on the wallet. Liberally put the product on your wallet to soak it into the leather material.
- Dry then Replace: Wait for the wallet to completely dry after the conditioner application process is through. Put back all your photos, cash, IDs, and cards as well as other papers into your wallet again. Clean your wallet every three to four months for the best results.
- Simple Maintenance by Dusting: You can maintain your wallet the same way you'd maintain your shoes or your vehicle's leather upholstery by wiping out the dust over them from time to time. Daily if possible although every other day or week will suffice as well.