Generally, driving a car while you are pregnant is safe. Your baby is well protected in your womb. However, it is mostly a case of preference for most pregnant women. Some are not comfortable to stay behind the wheel especially if they already have a huge bump.
It is possible for expectant moms to experience back pains while they are on the road especially if they are stuck in traffic while some get easily tired. Again, it is entirely up to you how long you plan to stay behind the wheel. On the other hand, if you are feeling edgy and uncomfortable, then it might be time to pass the steering wheel and ask someone to drive you.
Meanwhile, there are ways on how to keep you and your baby safe while you are driving your car. Here are some useful tips you need to read before to avoid any unexpected bumps on the road.
- Keep your seatbelt on – According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or NHTSA, pregnant women are required to buckle up and make sure that the safety belt is positioned over the collarbone. It should lay across your chest in between your neck and shoulder and keep it snugly fit. The lap belt should be positioned below the abdomen and on the upper part of your thighs.
- Pass the steering wheel – As your belly grows bigger, the gap between your womb and your car’s steering wheel gets smaller. Therefore, in case you get into an accident or a car crash, your belly is more exposed to the possibility of getting crushed too.
- Minimize your movement – Sit upright and lean back for a comfortable position. Avoid leaning forward so that you won’t accidentally hit your bump in the steering wheel.
- Do not discard the airbag – Airbags are safe for expectant mothers. In fact, the combination of airbag and safety belt provides the best protection. Just make sure you are properly seated and leaning away from the air bag and that you are buckled up correctly.
- Avoid long travels – When you’re pregnant, it is best to avoid long driving. If you must, have a stopover at least every one and a half hour so that you can stretch your limbs and muscles.
Make sure that you have your car washed regularly with the KevianClean Car Wash Shampoo before driving it. A clean car inside and out will prevent you from catching any virus from your car.