If you are going on a long drive, there is a high possibility that you will get sleepy along the way. Drowsiness and driving do not actually go hand in hand since it could lead you to fatal accidents. In order to avoid having to deal with that kind of situation, you need to make sure that you are up, awake, and alert, at least until you find a place to rest for the night.
How to Stay Awake while Driving
- Although a pre-drive nap could make up for a short night’s sleep, it will still be better if you had a good night sleep. As much as possible, aim for a 7 to 8-hour sleep to make sure that you have enough energy to drive for the whole day.
- If during the drive you feel like your eyes are falling out do not play the hero and just pull over to a safe spot. Get a 20-minute nap and after that rest for 15 minutes to shake off all that grogginess.
- The safest way to ensure that you don’t tire yourself out is to have someone switch places with you. This technique is called as the buddy system. You could switch places every two hours or every time you feel like you are already tired so that you can sleep while the other one is driving and vice versa.
- Never drink alcohol; no matter how little it is, before driving because it will just enhance your drowsiness.
- Avoid driving during 12 midnight and 6 am. This is the time when sleepiness is intensified because of your body clock. Besides, you need to have good night’s rest before heading out and continuing on the road trip the next day.
- Drink caffeine to improve alertness but make sure to not drink too much of it. Caffeine causes palpitations which may not be good for you especially when you are driving. Only drink it when needed.
Basically, you need to make sure that you do not feel sleepy while driving to avoid accidents but that is just the tip of the iceberg. If you really want to enjoy the trip that you are currently in, it truly is better if you don’t spend your stop over time to just take an in-between nap. You are on a road trip; you need to enjoy it as much as possible.